Name ______________________________ English 1 – Study Guide for Final Exam
dilapidated internal conflict antagonism maneuvering query
recoil external conflict infatuated hierarchy proper nouns
elation exposition falling action rising action climax
abusive quotation marks conflict emblem martyrs
resolution distraught prediction concussion
Fill-in-the Blank Vocabulary
tribute solace suave illiteracy dubious incarnation
resigned epitome sacrilegious
cascading essence incessantly
pronoun indefinite pronoun antecedent Fiction
Nonfiction autobiography allusion dyslexia
personal narrative biography
Mark the rhyme scheme of the following verse:
43. What is the setting of To Kill a Mockingbird? (Remember, this question requires answers to both time and place.)
Correct the following sentences:
Fill-in-the-Blank To Kill a Mockingbird Vocabulary
ramrod malevolent assuaged foray brethren repertoire
dictum domicile beadle corset vapid ambled
impotent impudent apothecary Methodists picket predilection
piety taciturn human chattels
46. He _____________ down the road because he was in no hurry.
47. In the old days an ___________________ could prescribe drugs.
48. Jem's fears about being able to play football were _____________, so he didn’t have to worry about his bad arm keeping him from playing
49. A ____________ maintains order at various civil functions such as trials and town hall meetings.
50. The _________________ at a church work together like brothers.
51. A ___________ is a lady’s undergarment designed to produce a particular effect on the figure. That effect usually results in a slim (or slimmer) waist and larger busts and hips.
52. A ___________ is a formal statement of principle
53. A ______________ is a house or a place where a person lives.
54. When you make a __________, you go somewhere or do something that is unusual or not normal for you.
55. __________________ are slaves.
56. Simon's fury and anger regarding the Civil War would certainly have been _______________ because there would have been nothing he could have done about it.
57. To be ________________ is to be shamelessly bold, as if you don't care what anyone thinks about you.
58. A _____________ person is an evil person.
59. _________________ are members of a branch of a Protestant Christian denomination.
60. A _____________ is a pointed or sharpened pole or stake. Many pickets held together can make a picket fence.
61. ___________ is devotion to religious duties and practices
62. A _______________ is a preference, or a preferred way of doing something. Thus, the Radley's preferred way of spending a Sunday afternoon was to keep the doors closed and not receive visitors
63. The soldier stood ______________ straight.
64. When Scout says that their _____________ was _____________, she means that the games they had invented to pass the time had become old and had lost their interest.
65. taciturn (adj.): almost always silent. Apparently, Aunt Alexandra's husband was a very quiet or _________________ man.
66. unsullied (adj.): something that is unsullied has been basically untouched or unused. The fact that Atticus's edition of the Code of Alabama is _____________ would, in this case, indicate that he seldom consults this book.